By Johnbosco Omokulele
The Soyinka Festival takes off today, the beginning of the Soyinka Week, with the Wole Soyinka International Cultural Exchange (WSICE) kicking off with the theme: I AM because YOU ARE
There will be online conversations, online live drama, online film shows, online exhibitions, running every day until Tuesday (July 12 to July 14).
The registration link is https://wolesoyinkainternationalculturalexchange.com/
Tomorrow, the Wole Soyinka Centre Media Lecture Series will hold as a webinar tomorrow, Monday, 13 July 2020, from 10am to 12noon West Africa Time (WAT). The theme is Data Media and National Development.
The Media Lecture Series, organized by the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, has confirmed speakers including Oluwayemisi Alaba, Senior Lecturer, Statistics Department, University of Ibadan; Yemi Kale, Statistician General of the Federation and Chief Executive Officer, Nigerian National Bureau of Statistics; Mannir Dan-Ali, Board Member, Media Trust Limited and former Editor-in-Chief/CEO, Daily Trust, and Oluseun Onigbinde, Co-Founder and Director, BudgIT Foundation. Chioma Agwuegbo,
Interested participants may access the link for the event through www.wscij.org/12wsclecture
Back to the Wole Soyinka International Cultural Exchange (WSICE),, the theme: I AM because YOU ARE, is drawn from the concept of UBUNTU, the Southern African philosophy which epitomises the principle of shared values that ensures the sustenance and survival of the human family This subject is inspired by “observed factors and motives behind the responses of peoples and governments across the world to the challenges pushed forward by the rage of the pandemic. In particular, the obvious interdependence of our collective humanity has been brought to the fore in the way people and States have risen to support others experiencing the dire effects of the pandemic”, according to Teju Kareem, the project’s kickstarter.
Hghlights of the programme are
The 11th edition of the annual WOLE SOYINKA INTERNATIONAL CULTURAL EXCHANGE, WSICE holds virtually on the theme I AM because YOU ARE.
The programme begins on Sunday, July 12 and will continue on Monday, July 13 and Tuesday, July 14. It is organized on the OpenDoorSeries platform and promoted by Zmirage Multimedia Ltd, with the collaboration of GlobalNewHaven and support of the San Diego State University.
WSICE2020 also marks the 86th birthday anniversary of the first Black and African Nobel laureate in Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka.
Day 1 (12th July 2020)
• Advocacy Conference: PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS AND OUR COMMON HUMANITY. Keynote by Prof. Li-Rong Lilly Cheng, Executive Director of Chinese Cultural Centre, San Diego State University, USA; supported by five other papers by speakers from China, Spain, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago and Nigeria.
• Film screening: The White Handkerchief (dir. Tunde Kelani) (NIG)
• Performances: Soyinka’s The Bacchae, (dir. Jefferey Page) (USA)
Day 2 (13th July 2020)
• Advocacy Symposium: ReIMAGINING our WORLD post-PANDEMIC.
Keynote: Prof. (Fr.) Joseph Brown, SJ of Africana Studies, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, USA; supported by five other speakers from Uganda, Zimbabwe, France, USA and Nigeria.
• Film screenings: Wole Soyinka: Poeto Citoyen (53″; dir. Jean-Pierre Zirn/Bankole Bello).
• Performances: Letter to Corona by Crown Troupe of Africa, and Soyinka’s King Baabu by Oxzygen Koncepts.
Day 3 (14th July 2020)
• The Wole Soyinka Essay competition: Announcement of zonal and global winners.
• Film screenings: Abobaku (35″; dir. Niji Akanni)
• Performances: Live Storytelling by Yayra Tamakloe (Ghana/USA)
Start Time: Noon (West Central Africa – UTC/GMT +1) Daily
Jul 12, 2020 12:00 PM
Jul 13, 2020 12:00 PM
Jul 14, 2020 12:00 PM
Time shows in West Central Africa
Add to calendar
835 7543 6744